‘Small but sustainable? Scholar-led journals and open access’

Early results from a DFG-funded study of diamond OA scholar-led journals in Germany: About 20 percent of the titles receive subsidies, mostly from university libraries. The authors aren’t sanguine about the other 80 percent: All but a few key journals rely on...

‘Beware the Instant Global-Campus Movement’

Phil Hill, writing in the Chronicle on the recent University of Arizona acquisition of the for-profit Ashford: Both Arizona and Purdue, with one move, have outwardly leapfrogged their competition and became major players in the online world with a much more diverse...

Coming Soon: Communications of the AMS, a New Diamond Journal

An interesting tidbit, buried in a Scholarly Kitchen post on the implications of COVID for professional associations: At the [American Mathetical Society], our approach is to look to Diamond OA for a new broad-based math journal, Communications of the AMS, launching...

‘Reassembling Scholarly Communications’

Jonathan Gray, announcing his new collection, co-edited with Martin Eve: MIT Press have recently published a new book on Reassembling Scholarly Communications: Histories, Infrastructures, and Global Politics of Open Access edited by Martin Eve and myself. […] My...